Get Started Now and Create an Account!!
Please use email address for user ID and your password should be 8 characters in length.
THE 2021 SVG College Sports Media Awards ARE NOW OPEN!!
We Applaud You For Your Outstanding Work and Innovation This Past Year
Presented by the Sports Video Group
& the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics
2021 OFFICIAL RULES
April 1 - May 7, 2021 – Entry Submission Period
May 7, 2021 – Entry Deadline
June 3, 2021 – Finalists Announced
June 23, 2021 – SVG College Sports Media Awards in association with NACDA Ceremony*
*CSMA Ceremony to be hosted virtually as part of the annual SVG College Summit (June 22-24, 2021)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• What’s New?
• Key Reminders
• Categories and Eligibility
• Entry Procedure
• Submission Requirements
• Eligibility Criteria
• Judging Information
• Entry Fees and Payment Information
• Prohibitions & Disqualifications
• Trophy Information
Since its inception, the SVG College Sports Media Awards in association with NACDA have recognized the best in class in college sports video production. Over the years, SVG has celebrated those who have pushed the envelope and set a higher standard for all who are part of this talented industry.
Once again, as part of this year’s SVG College Summit (June 22-24, Virtual), the Sports Video Group (SVG) and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) will award the outstanding work in college sports video productions from campuses across the country, and the staffs that makes them possible.
For those who have entered the SVG College Sports Media Awards in association with NACDA, please note some key changes to the rules and entry procedures:
· For the second year in a row, there will be NO ENTRY FEE for any submission.
We continue to support our college sports production membership who, in spite of many restrictions, are doing great work that deserves recognition.
· There are no restrictions on the number of entries in any category from any organization or individual.
- PLEASE NOTE: There will be a strict adherence to the entry rules.
- Please read the rules for each DIVISION and CATEGORY before you submit an entry.
- We will be expecting higher than normal submissions and those that do not meet the rules as we have set them will be notified that their entry is not accepted. They will have the opportunity to edit the entry to meet the requirements and re-submit, so long as the entry is properly submitted prior to the final entry deadline.
Specific key guidelines need to be followed for your entry to be eligible for judging. Some of the key reminders before submitting your entries are as follows:
- Entry Eligibility Period
Entries must have originally aired, streamed, been made available for download, or exhibited at a public event between April 6, 2020 and April 5, 2021.
- Entry Deadline
The final deadline for all entries is May 7, 2021
- Differences Between the Two “Live” Categories
Entries in the Live Game Production are for live games only. Entries featuring other live events such as Coach’s Shows, Press Conferences, Studio Shows (including National Signing Day), live social media Q&As, and the like, should be submitted in the Live Non-Game Production category.
- Entries in the “Live” Categories May Not Exceed Five Minutes
Any segment of a live production entered in either of the live categories must be five (5) minutes or less and must be one (1) continuous segment. Highlight reels are not accepted.
- Entries in the “Live” Categories Must Feature All Live Content
All submissions in these categories must be a segment of entirely live material. No opens, teases, or features should be included in the sampling.
- Program Series Entries Must Feature Clips from Three Different Shows
An entry for the Program Series category should include excerpts from a minimum three different shows with the total running time of all combined not to exceed 10 minutes.
- Special Feature Entries May Not Exceed Eight Minutes
Entries in the Special Feature category are not to exceed eight minutes in length.
- Special Feature Cannot Be an Excerpt From a Full Program.
To qualify as a Special Feature, the entry must be a complete separate program element with a beginning, middle and end and not a segment of a longer program.
CATEGORIES AND ELIGIBILITY
On April 1, 2021, a call for entries will be opened to all entities that produce college sports video.
There are twenty (20) categories for entry in the College Sports Media Awards that will encompass four divisions for competition: Professional; College Conferences and Governing Bodies; Collegiate Athletics; Collegiate Students. Universities from the U.S. and Canada are eligible.
The Divisions are defined as:
Professional – This division now encompasses all television/broadcast networks (be them national or regional), Local TV (OTA) Stations, or independent packagers or production companies.
Collegiate Conferences and Governing Bodies – All college conferences and governing bodies within the NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA, and Canada.
Collegiate Athletics – All NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA, and accredited institutions in the U.S. and Canada. These productions are funded, supervised and executed solely by athletic department employees and their staff (full-time, part-time, freelance, intern, student).
Collegiate Student – All NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA, and accredited institutions in the U.S. and Canada. These productions are funded and supervised solely by university employees (athletic or academic). The production work is completed solely by students (undergraduate or graduate) who are enrolled part-time or full-time at that institution during the time period designated for the content to be produced to be eligible for the awards. In the case of the Live Game, Program or Event category, 80% of the production personnel must be students to be eligible. Students who are paid are also eligible.
Entrants in each of the Four Divisions will compete for awards in these Five Categories:
1. Live Game Production (time limit of five (5) minutes per entry) – The production of any live college sporting event for linear television, streaming platform, social media platform, mobile application, IPTV, connected device, OTT service, or in-stadium videoboard. If fans can watch the event as it happens, the video qualifies for this category. This includes LIVE GAMES ONLY - press conferences (i.e. National Signing Day), pep rallies, pre- and post- game coverage, etc. are not eligible for this category. Entries must be a contiguous segment of the game. No editing or highlight reels will be accepted. Please do not include show opens or teases – which are eligible in another category.
2. Live Non-Game Production (time limit of five (5) minutes per entry) – Programming that has a connected topic or theme that is produced live for linear television, social media platforms, streaming platform, mobile application, IPTV, connected device, OTT service, or in-stadium videoboard. This includes LIVE highlight shows, press conferences (i.e. National Signing Day), pep rallies, pre- and post- game coverage, coach’s shows, interviews.
3. Program Series (time limit of 10 minutes per entry) – Recurring thematic pre-produced content that is both long and short form. To be eligible, a “Series” is defined as no fewer than five (5) episodes consisting of no less than two (2) minutes Total Running Time per episode. These include the following in any of these areas as examples: teams, coaches, players, parents, siblings, historical events, athletic department employees, trainers, medical staff, recruiting, instruction, behind-the-scenes footage, Senior Day, etc. Distribution methods can include linear television, streaming platform, social media platform, mobile application, IPTV, connected device, OTT service, or in-stadium videoboard. Please include excerpts from a minimum three (3) different shows, the total running time of all not to exceed ten (10) minutes.
4. Special Feature (time limit of eight (8) minutes per entry) – Short form video where the subject matter is singular (one college sports subject) and the programming is edited. These include the following in any of these areas as examples: teams, coaches, players, parents, siblings, historical events, athletic department employees, trainers, medical staff, recruiting, instruction, behind-the-scenes footage, Senior Day, etc. To qualify as a Special Feature the less-than-eight (8)-minute video must be a “complete separate element” with a beginning, middle and end and not an “excerpt” of a longer program. Distribution methods can include linear television, streaming platform, social media platform, mobile application, IPTV, connected device, OTT service, or in-stadium videoboard.
5. Short Form Fan Engagement (time limit of minimum 15 seconds to two (2) minutes per individual entry, six (6) minutes for campaigns) – Video in any form for any purpose directed at creating an action by a consumer or fan. This includes any video created for the purpose of marketing and branding (such as a PSA), or for promotion or sales. This category encompasses message-based videos created for the purpose of promoting a coach, player, sport, announcer, employee, and university or league athletic program, or upcoming events for the purpose of tune-in, sales (tickets, ads, booster), charity, public service, image, awareness of a brand, accomplishments, championships, outstanding athletic and academic achievement, facilities, benefits, etc. Distribution can include in-stadium videoboard, linear television, social media platform, streaming/OTT platform, mobile application, or hard copy (not for sale). For those entering a series of promos to represent a campaign, the maximum is four (4) related promos (total six (6) minutes) per entry.
• The final deadline for all entries is May 7, 2021.
• Extensions will not be granted unless there are extenuating circumstances and the request must be made no later than May 6, 2021
• All entries must be a minimum 30 seconds in length. (with the exception of short form fan engagement where the minimum length is 15 seconds)
• All entries will be submitted online.
VIDEO SUBMISSION PROCEDURE – All submissions and payments will be completed on the CSMA platform. This includes a general registration procedure that must be completed once. IF YOU COMPLETED THIS REGISTRATION in any year since 2016, YOU CAN LOGIN IN WITH THE SAME ID and PASSWORD.
· All organizations must complete an online form for each entry. All videos will be uploaded as part of this entry process. You can edit your entries at any time up until the final entry deadline. Once you “Checkout” your entries are submitted for judging.
· The Finalists will be announced on June 3, 2021 and posted on the Sports Video Group (www.sportsvideo.org), College Sports Media Awards (www.collegesportsmediaawards.com) SVG College Summit (www.svgcollege.com) websites.
· All entrants will be notified of the nominations via email.
· This year’s winners will be announced at the SVG College Summit on June 23, 2021 at the SVG College Summit (virtual).
Submission Eligibility Period
Entries must have originally aired, been made available for downloading or streaming, or exhibited in public between April 6, 2020 and April 5, 2021.
Number of Entries Allowed
There is no limit to the amount of entries that can be submitted. Each entry is a separate submission.
Each submitting entity will be directed to the 2021 College Sports Media Home Page (www.collegesportsmediaawards.com), which contains information about the submission process. All submitting entities will follow the same procedure:
PROFILE/REGISTRATION: Complete profile registration form. This will enable the submission platform to recognize you each time you come back to edit or submit additional entries. This is required. This will help you manage your entries from a “Home Page” on the site.
The Next Step is to begin the entry procedure by completing a submission form for each entry. This includes:
SELECT DIVISION: Each submitting entity will complete a short form that includes selecting the DIVISION that best represents your organization (See above descriptions).
SELECT NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Select the number of entries that you wish to submit. You can submit As MANY ENTRIES PER CATEGORY PER DIVISION, but each will be on a separate form. THERE IS NO PAYMENT REQUIRED THIS YEAR.
INDIVIDUAL SUBMISSION AND VIDEO UPLOAD: Submission description and video upload. Each submission requires a short form to be completed, followed by a video upload. If you are submitting more than one entry, you will compete another form and upload the accompanying video to that entry.
EDITING ENTRIES: You will be allowed to edit your entries by going back into the same profile/forms. The platform will recognize your profile and request a password to gain entry. If you do not complete the entry process all at once, you can continue as many times as necessary to do so.
BEFORE YOUR ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR JUDGING, YOU MUST COMPLETE REVIEW AND CHECKOUT. THERE IS NO PAYMEN TTHIS YEAR. Please contact Andrew Lippe if you have questions about payment at Andrew@sportsvideo.org
Usage of Entries at Ceremony
By entering the 2021 SVG College Sports Media Awards in association with NACDA, you are granting permission to have any video submitted to be downloaded and included in a highlight reel of finalists/winners for the awards presentation at the SVG College Summit, at the NACDA Convention in June, and on the College Sports Media Awards website. Entries in the Profession division will not be added to the College Sports Media Awards website. All finalists are required to follow this procedure. Failure to meet this requirement could lead to disqualification.
Entrants must submit a fully completed form for each entry. Entry forms must be authorized by the individual responsible for submission and he/she certifies in authorizing the form that the entry is true and correct to the best of his/her knowledge. In addition, he/she certifies that the video(s) are submitted free of encumbrances and grants NACDA and SVG permission to use the material in conjunction with the College Sports Media Awards process, ceremony, additional presentations, promotion, and publicity surrounding the event in all media.
SVG and NACDA reserve the right to move any entry to a different entry category if, in its judgment, such a move is warranted. Entrants will be notified before a category reassignment is made. Entry fees will not be returned in cases of dispute.
Errors and Omissions
SVG and NACDA assume no responsibility for the acts or omissions of those individuals or entities submitting entries pursuant to this notice. All submitting entities and/or individuals are advised to review submissions with respect to correct name credits and other information. We shall accept all submissions that are not in conflict with any of its rules and regulations. Ineligible entries may be disqualified at any stage of the competition.
Content Submission Guidelines
1. All must be college sports subject matter.
2. All submissions must include the following information as part of the entry:
a. Title and name of submitting entity
b. Division and Category for each video, along with title of video
c. Contact information (mailing address, email address, direct contact phone number)
d. Total Running Time for each entry (in Notes Section)
Editing a Submission to Conform to Maximum Running Time
IN ALL LIVE CATEGORIES, entries that exceed the maximum running time must be edited to conform to the maximum running time specified in the category entry criteria. Internal editing—i.e. re-editing the content of continuous programming in order to enhance the submission—is not allowed. In order to edit a broadcast to conform to the maximum allowable running time:
• Edit out commercials
• Consider what’s left to be continuous programming
• Editing out commercials between continuous programming does not constitute internal editing.
• A Blue Ribbon Panel of highly-qualified industry professionals will consider all submissions during the judging period in May-June, 2021. All balloting will be performed online using secure and password-protected procedures.
• Each judge casts a single ballot. Judges’ votes are not shared with other judges or with members of NACDA or the Sports Video Group unless they are designated CSMA administrators. No Submitting entity may see the judges’ scores.
• All ballots will be tabulated independently. The finalists will be chosen by the judges in Round 1. The winners will be chosen based upon both Round 1 and Round 2 voting.
ENTRY FEES AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
- Professional – $0 per entry
- College Conferences and Governing Bodies– $0 per entry
- Collegiate Athletics – $0 per entry
- Collegiate Student – $0 per entry
THERE IS NO PAYMENT THIS YEAR
PROHIBITIONS & DISQUALIFICATIONS
In ALL LIVE categories, entries that exceed the maximum running time in their category must be edited. Any entries that exceed the maximum time are subject to disqualification. However, the entry cannot have been re-edited for the purpose of enhancing the submission. An excerpt must be a continuous, commercial-free run. Editing out commercials between continuous programming does not constitute internal editing. SVG will make best efforts to notify anyone who is in violation of this entry requirement and will allow a re-submission prior to the entry deadline if time allows.
A compilation or body of work from a variety of programs and/or series that are not related is permitted only in the Program Series category. Promotional Campaigns fall into this description as well.
Any misrepresentation of entries will be cause for disqualification. Misrepresentations may include, but are not limited to: misrepresenting programming as original. Should evidence of misrepresentation appear at a later date, the entry will be retroactively disqualified. We will ask for the return of any awarded statuettes or award certificates.
• Violations of any other published rules and procedures herein may result in disqualification. Payment submitted with disqualified entries will not be returned. (Ignore - No Payments this year)
Each winning entry will receive one (1) College Sports Media Award statuette at no cost. If winners require additional statuettes, the request must be submitted by June 30, 2021. These additional trophies will require separate payment and will be shipped to one location only. Honorable Mention and Finalists will receive a certificate for each entry. Customized Trophies may take longer.
Please contact: Tom Buffolano of the CSMAs at email@example.com or Brandon Costa of the Sports Video Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.